Gems problem

Jim Byrne Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:18:15 +0100

on 18/9/01 12:16 pm, Ken Dow at Me@KenDow.Com wrote:

> Jim
>
>> I am having a problem with Gems on my Manila Website. When clicking on Gems
>> that have been uploaded - the browser displays a mixture of weird characters
>> and text - sometimes no text, just the strange characters. The files
>> uploaded are Word documents - but the browser doesn't seem to recognise them
>> as work documents.
>
> Are you serving the gems from Frontier on a Mac? If so, there's a
> reported problem in that Frontier doesn't correctly set file types on
> uploaded gems.

Ken,

Yes it is Frontier on a Mac.

> In the spirit of Manila love (go Brent!), the fix is in
> mainResponder.getFileMimeType:
>
> if system.environment.isWindows {
> objectType = string.replaceAll (objectType, " ", "");
> // strip spaces
> try {mimeType = user.webserver.prefs.ext2MIME.[objectType]}};
>
> if system.environment.isMac {
> try {mimeType = user.webserver.prefs.type2MIME.[objectType]}}
>
> If the second "if" statement checked for a missing file type and an
> extension and fell back on the method used for Windows, and if both
> of these MIME type tables fleshed out and synchronized, we'd be in
> business!

where in the process of adding/accessing a Gem is
mainResponder.getFileMimeType called? I have added some lines to this script
to debug the problem - but they are not being called at any point.

Thanks,
Jim

--
Jim Byrne Project Director, The Making Connections Unit, Glasgow Caledonian
University, Glasgow G4 OBA, 0141 331 3893

Everything you need to know about publishing accessible information on the
Web.

Connections Disability: http://www.connections.gcal.ac.uk/

Scottish Disability Information Mailing list:
http://www.connections.gcal.ac.uk/MailList/DisList.html