AGAIN: Named element typography elements are now hosed

Michael Fraase Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:21:11 -0500

Last week, I posted this problem. No response, so I'm trying again, this
time with a translation into UserLand bug-reporting language....

WHAT I DID
Published an article using named typographic elements like ’ for a
right single quote, — for an em-dash, etc.

WHAT I EXPECTED
Manila/Frontier to display the named typographic elements properly.

WHAT HAPPENED
Manila/Frontier "translated" the carefully, hand-crafted named
typographic elements into the evil Microsoft pseudo-equivalents. Not
only does this make the article not display properly in non-Microsoft
browsers, it screws up the rss.xml file (with an error at the first
instance of a "translated" named typographic element).

While I recognize that some of the traditionally used named typographic
elements are not formally defined by HTML 4.0 or XHTML 1.0, they work in
every browser on every platform of which I'm aware. Microsoft's evil
alternatives don't.

Please cc me directly with any response, as I'm digestified.

--
Michael Fraase
ARTS & FARCES LLC