pre-Newbie Questions

David Carter-Tod Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Thu, 18 Jul 2002 10:41:24 -0400

At 07:10 AM 7/18/2002 -0400, Peter Harbeson wrote:
>Manila can run behind IIS; you essentially use the content management
>system to generate static web pages, then use IIS (or any web server) to
>serve them up.

There are other ways too. You can also put Manila behind an Apache proxy on
any platform.  Here's an example:
http://frontier-osx.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$945?mode=day

>Import users from csv file (name, e-mail, password, group(s), bulletins
>on/off etc)

This isn't built-in as best I recall, but wouldn't be hard to do for a
beginning Frontier programmer - the users table is a fairly simple
structure.  Actually, it's not a bad idea for a plugin!  There are other
authentication methods too.  I've written an LDAP tool, for example -
http://www.wcc.vccs.edu/dtod/frontier/ldapManila.html.

>(Then we can switch of join to complement
>this)

You can just remove the link from the membership templates.

>I am also interested in scalability/response performance - are there some
>stats somewhere to tell me about this with sample site sizes/number of
>users/number of accesses etc?

This thread shows some numbers if you read down:
http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$9060

David
--
David Carter-Tod
<wccartd@wc.cc.va.us>

Instructional Technologist/Distance Education Contact
Wytheville Community College, 1000 E. Main St.,
Wytheville, VA 24382
(wk) 276-223-4784
http://www.wcc.vccs.edu/

Online certificate in web site design: