Mystery table on the home page ... solved!

Brian V Hughes Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 17:47:24 -0500

You're welcome, Scott! It took me close to three hours to track this
down the other day. And when I found it, I was really quite baffled
by it. I found that I just couldn't follow the logic in the script.
For those that are interested, this occurs in
manilaSuite.renderNewsPage (), which is called from the default
object at the top of any standard Manila web site.

In the bundle that actually builds the page, there is a flag called
flSysopPlacesCalendar that is set to true if the string "{calendar}"
exists in the home page template. For some reason, if this string
doesn't exist in the template, then the body of the home page is
placed into the left-most column of an interior nested table, which
appears to exist to allow space for the home page calendar. But, that
extra HTML only gets added if the {calendar} macro doesn't exist in
the template?!

As you can imagine, I was quite perplexed by this fact. Fortunately,
you can fool Manila into not adding in that extra HTML by placing a
the {calendar} macro into your home page template, and simply
choosing to not display it. You can further cut down on the weight of
your page by inactivating the macro by preceding it with a backslash.

It's a complete hack, but it arrives at much cleaner HTML code for
your Manila home page. Of course, this is only really of interest to
those of us using Manila for a non-news/non-weblog style of web site,
which really isn't playing to Manila's strength, but I like being
able to use the Discussion Group. ;->

-Brian, Alan's co-worker
--
Brian V. Hughes                          <http://www.dartmouth.edu/~comm/>
Webmaster                                Dartmouth College Computing Services