Site won't allow editing

Dean Landsman Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 23:52:40 -0400

Alan,

YOU WERE CORRECT!  Problem identified and fixed.  It was the Norton
Firewall, thinking for itself and acting hidden and transparently.  Now I
remember why I generally despise Norton products: they infiltrate the
machine and hog resources.

Thanks for the tip, now I can get back to editing, adding, updating, etc.

Greatly appreciated.

--Dean

-----Original Message-----
From: manila-newbies-admin@userland.com
[mailto:manila-newbies-admin@userland.com]On Behalf Of Alan German
Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2003 10:26 PM
To: Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Subject: Re: Site won't allow editing

For the Manila users on my systems that report this problem, I suggest
the possibilities that their browser and/or their personal firewall
and/or their ISP is blocking the referer header in the http request
that submits your edit. Manila expects the referer to be valid as a way
to prevent spoofing.

I recommend that users check their browser settings (I think only IE on
Windows has this level of control) or use a non-MS browser, check their
personal firewall settings (if used; you note you recently removed it,
but are you positive?), or contact their ISP and ask if they block
referer headers. Some ISPs block referer headers in an attempt to
guarantee privacy [at the risk of breaking systems that rely on referer
for security purposes].

HTH.

Alan