WYSIWYG Support on Mac Browsers

Alan German Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Fri, 16 May 2003 15:26:51 -0400

The WYSIWYG editor available to Windows/IE users is about as far from
"standards-based" as you can get. Frontier (Manila) is really just
"enabling" that function [built-in to IE running on Windows-only].

Since it's not "built-in" in Mac browsers, there's nothing in them that
Userland can "enable."

There _are_ some efforts by the Mozilla folks to get a cross-platform
wysiwyg editor in place but it's very early in the process. If your
organization is willing to wean itself from IE, you might be able to
consider this approach.

There are a few cross-platform, cross-browser Java applets that provide
pretty good wysiwyg editors. See <http://www.realobjects.de/> for one
example [it's a licensed product, though].

Alan