RSS in an editor's only site

Stephen Waters sbwaters at rny.com
Wed Jun 2 04:35:44 PDT 2004

Hi,

I've got an editor's only site with syndication turned on for the home
page and discussion group messages but without it being sent to
weblogs.com.

Should a newsreader be able to get the rss feed? How can cookies be
authenticated. They are logged in on the browser, Safari, but I
wouldn't expect Newswire to be able to detect that.

Ranchero Software says:

"NetNewsWire can read sites that use http authentication -- but I don't
know if the RSS feeds for editors-only sites are available that way.
(They may require a cookie instead.)

"I vaguely remember that at some point UserLand made it possible to
read them via http authentication, but I'm not positive. I'd recommend
asking them about it."

So I am.

Regards/Stephen