Part of a story as a news items?

David A. Bayly dbayly at udena.ch
Mon May 3 00:56:20 PDT 2004

Last week I helped work out a way to do this very task with the
addedValues plugin.  The idea is to break the body into 2 parts, for
want of a better name, we called them shortText and longText.
shorttext is supposed to replace the news item text and
shorttext+longtext togetehr comprise the story text.

Creating and editing stories  uses a modified EditThisPage form, with
field for both texts. Doing it this way eliminates the need to create
news items at all; as addedValues can display a "news page" from the
stories in just about any way you wish. Deciding which  stories2 will
contribute shortText to the home page can be done by date, number, as
well as other optional properties you might add to a story (we plan
to use topicType as a major key and a multiple valued Category to do
this). The layout possibilities are more than adequate to format a
news page, and can handle the sort of formatting you are asking for.

addedValues also does RSS feeds and can use the same selection
criterion as the news page does (or better to partition the feed into
many feeds dependent on category).

I think the only point on your wishlist I haven't covered is
trackback.  Not sure I even managed to remember what that is, for
more than 30 seconds after I read the definition, which indicates I
don't understand it (or perhaps the need for it). Maybe this little
project  will help me clarify this blind spot and find a way to
handle it.

The addedValues plugin is free, under active development and can be
downloaded from <http://www.addedVaues.org/>

--

- David Bayly.       Programmer and digest reader.     dbayly at udena dot ch
  		Digest Readers do it once a day.