New Message: Re: Databases corrupting

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Tue May 31 12:50:37 CDT 2005

A new message was posted:

Address: http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$14095

By: Robert Cassidy (rmcassid at uci.edu)

Interesting. Bob is in SoCal, grew up in NY/New England. 100% Irish blood.

Been to London, though. Splendid place. Wonderful people. I've always understood rhyming slang, but never quite gotten it. Never figured out how the average person was expected to extract the rhyming antecedent for the n possible follow-on words. I can figure it out in a few seconds, but in a conversational flow I'd find it nearly impossible. I think the key is that it's generally used where the substitution is fairly immaterial - take the word out and the meaning of the sentence is still apparent - but the embedded puzzle grabs my attention a bit too much. It's a hell of a way to communicate. That's not to say I don't like it - as a New Yorker I could teach a certificate program on improvisational swearing. You may not know what's coming at you, but you sure as hell knows what it means... :)

I've hacked the script up a bit already (enough to get my stuff to stop breaking) but there's more to do. Probably by the end of the week I'll have something to share back. My first step was to have it skip files by default unless specified. It easier to add a parameter flag which says to just compact whatever's open.

I'll be adding in a Manila admin front-end for my site, allowing me to check/uncheck those files that I want compacted regularly and the schedule (like the Database Subscriptions page in Settings), and I'll explicity call the script to compact specific files around updates, etc.

Now, I've got a whole site-specific admin tool written to support this, but most people don't and it might be nice if Userland could incorporate something like this in their standard suite and admin set.

This is a Manila site.. http://manila.userland.com/.