New Message: Re: Problems running upgrader

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Thu Sep 1 13:45:16 CDT 2005

A new message was posted:

Address: http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$14206

By: Dan Mitchell (dan at mitchell.fhda.edu)

Hi Lawrence:

Here's what I did.

* I made a backup copy of the entire Frontier folder on a separate drive.
* In the folder containing the original installation of Frontier 9.1b4 I replaced the orginal copy of Frontier with a copy of v.9.5.
* I launched the new copy of Frontier in this folder.
* I then double-clicked the upgrader.ftds (or whatever it is called) file, located in the Frontier upgrade folder that was expanded from the downloaded compressed file.
* At some point - probably here? - I got the dialog asking if I wanted to upgrade to v. 9.5 and I confirmed.
* The upgrade process began and the status window reported a lot of stuff getting upgraded.
* I got an error message: Can't find a sub-table named "radioCommunityServerSuite".
* I dismissed this error message by, if memory serves, simply closing the window.
* The status window continued to report something about the upgrade process involving RCS but nothing further happened.
* I quit Frontier.

Now things became somewhat confused.

After the first attempt at the upgrade went bad I trashed the entire should-have-been-upgraded Frontier folder and replaced it with my backup. 9.1b4 seemed to work correctly at this point.

I ran the upgrade process again, with more or less the same results. However, I noticed a couple of interesting things:

* At one point in appeared that 9.5 /was/ now running. However, I also got some errors saying that Frontier.root could not be found and I used the dialog to locate it. I'm suspicious after the fact that a copy of 9.5 in the upgrader folder may have been running, but I can't confirm this. (I had moved a /duplicate/ copy of 9.5 into the old Frontier folder for the upgrade.)
* At the point that I thought that I had upgraded to 9.5 (as reported on the admin web page at one point) I went to the Frontier app on the server and manually used the update root menu command to update the usual roots.
* Now, though I am running 9.1b4 according to the admin web page, I /do/ see a number of the new 9.5 features on my Manila sites.

A note: I don't see anything on my Admin pages (9.1v4 or when 9.5 was briefly running) that shows any access to RCS at all. If I remember correctly, in the past I saw some links to RCS info on the main Admin page, but not any more. I don't see any access to RCS from the other Admin pages either. I wonder is something is up with RCS itself?

A mess, no?

Dan

This is a Manila site.. http://manila.userland.com/.