New Message: Authenticated SMTP Part 2: TLS/SSL

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Mon Mar 6 16:28:04 CST 2006

A new message was posted:

Address: http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$14371

By: Robert Cassidy (rmcassid at uci.edu)

Ok, spaced out on really how to solve my problem.

I need to run smtp-auth plaintext over TLS or SSL on an alternate port, so Baylys solution won't fly for me out of the box.

Problem #1: I can't seem to find any evidence that I can use the TLS extension to handle SMTP. Or anything but HTTP for that matter. Possible?

Problem #2: I can't seem to find any documentation on how to specify the SMTP port, let alone l/p. Maybe hacking Baylys tools to use TLS is the quickest route, but can anyone get me pointed the right way here?

Problem #3: I'm running Academic Manila. What's the hit for the product, assuming there are solutions to #1 & #2?