New Message: Re: SPAM

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Thu Mar 22 00:03:50 CDT 2007

A new message was posted:

Address: http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$14584

By: Lawrence Lee (lawrence at userland.com)

Melissa,

The best method might be to:

1) Reset the editorial mode of your sites to prevent new members from automatically joining a site. And require people to be a member of the site to post comments.

http://productnews.userland.com/

2) Requiring that editors approve anyone requesting membership.

3) We'll look at adding an interface to mass remove messages. Did you have something specific in mind? We could send you a script that can go through all messages for each site to remove messages based on a keyword. That might be a good step once you lock down access to the sites.

There are some sample spam filters here, but they would require you to update the keywords etc:

http://samples.userland.com/

While it requires users register for a key, there's also the ManilaAkismet plugin:

http://maniladocs.userland.com/tools/manilaAkismet

But if you restrict access to post coments and enable the membership validation, you probably won't have to setup these filters/plugins.

Lawrence