New Message: Apache configuration help

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Thu Aug 18 03:53:54 CDT 2005

By: Matt Deatherage (frontier at gcsf.com)

We upgraded our Frontier server today from Mac OS X 10.3.8 client to Mac OS X 10.4.2 Server. This, of course, involved Apple's tools rewriting our httpd.conf files many many times, and us going back and fixing it each time. (I'm using a technique all but identical to Eric Soroos's technique described here [1].)

Now everything seems stable, with one exception.

For /one/, and only one, of the sites on the server, Frontier is returning an XML feed for a different site. The XML URl in the source of the broken site (let's call it "brokensite.com") is, correctly, <http:\//brokensite.com/xml/rss.xml>. Yet when I visit that page, Frontier and/or Apache returns the XML from <http:\//otherunrelatedsite.com/xml/rss.xml>.

Unfortunately, because brokensite.com is very private, I can't share the exact URLs. Every other XML feed on the server I've tried (and I think I've tried them all) is returning the correct RSS for its content.

Where do I even /look/ to solve this configuration problem?

[1] http://www.wiredfool.com/docs/apacheProxy

This is a Manila site.. http://manila.userland.com/.