New Message: Handling 'cr' differently?

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Wed Dec 14 08:46:07 CST 2005

By: John Koch (koch at wilkes.edu)

I have a plugin that displays a web form. It uses this line in a local function to create the lines in a textarea field that is displayed:

htmltext = htmltext + (s + cr);

When I display the form, the lines inside the textarea box are all run together (no line endings).

When I put the cr's in manually and submit the form, the script that processes the form produces results that look like there are no cr's in the field.

This plugin has worked fine for years. Faculty and staff have been using this plugin all semester, but it was noticed last night that the cr's do not seem to be there and if they are there, they seem to be stripped out.

I went to prefs>advanced>site structure and the form there still produces lines with returns.

Has something changed in Frontier? I found the constant cr and it's still a backslash 'n'.

I'm running Frontier 9.5 on Mac OS X 10.4.2.