New Message: Re: Who can be hosted on Frontier and Manila

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Tue Jun 14 08:21:46 CDT 2005

By: Steve Kirks (steve at userland.com)

Stephen:

I'll take a stab at this...

When you say "...nothing really is listed above." you must not see the section titled "You May", two sentences that tell you in plain language what you may do with the software. The first thing listed in the "You May Not" section is "Permit concurrent use of the Software by any third party" meaning that you may not use Manila to set up a weblog hosting service *unless* as stated in the opening paragraph of the "You May Not" section, UserLand grants your organization specific permission to do so.

Note that this would not apply if ABC Company purchases a license to Manila and then implements weblogs for all of it's employees. Since the employee is part of the company, there's no third-party involved. Primarily, the license is designed to encourage people to talk to UserLand first before they buy Manila and set up a weblog hosting service.

Questions like this are best handled with our management team in a phone call. A link with our contact information, including a phone number, appears at the top right of ever page on UserLand's servers.

For an answer to your postscript, I'd suggest you call Scott Young, our CEO and ask him that question personally.

Steve Kirks
Product Manager, Radio UserLand

This is a Manila site.. http://manila.userland.com/.