New Message: Who can be hosted on Frontier and Manila

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Tue Jun 14 06:46:23 CDT 2005

By: Stephen B. Waters (sbwaters at rny.com)

Hi,

I'm trying to understand the statements under the "License [1]" for Frontier as shown for Version 9.5. It says:

"Unless expressly consented to by UserLand, permit third parties or other individuals to use the Software except under the terms listed above;" [But nothing really is listed above.]

"Permit concurrent use of the Software by any third party;"

Reading it, it seems to suggest that Userland has decided to take control over whom I decide to let have a blog.

Now, can someone please explain this so it makes sense?

Whom I choose to host is my business, NOT Userland's. I pay for the bandwidth. I assure Userland and anyone who cares to listen, that if I am interpreting this policy correctly, I shall migrate OFF of Userland products at the first opportunity.

Please say it ain't so.

Regards/Stephen

P.S. This looks like an identity crisis. Userland is either in the software business or in the hosting business. Which is it? Dave Winer was in the business of enabling users to enable other users. If you are not, tell us.

[1] http://manila.userland.com/license

This is a Manila site.. http://manila.userland.com/.