New Message: Norton Internet Security and Firewalls

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Tue Nov 1 22:45:40 CST 2005

By: Ben Collis (ben at dp.co.nz)

I am encountering more and more site member/editors who are getting referer errors due to the usage of Internet Firewalls and secutiry packages ... Are other people experiencing the same ?

For the PC user market, where people now realise a Secutiry package is essential rather than a luxury item, it seems to me like this will occur more and more often.

Default installation settings seem to prevent cookies and thus editors can log in but not post changes.

Coupled with this there are various different apps and versions e.g. Zone Alarm, Norton Personal Firewall, Norton Internet Secutiry 2003 and also 2004 - all need different settings tweaked from different menu options.

Anyone else suffering with this ?

I have also looked for a good online resource to have steps (and screenshots) to take a user through the process of enabling things on this. not yet found one .. Can anybody else help ?