New Message: Do you want to cache the home page for better performance?

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Fri Nov 4 18:08:15 CST 2005

By: Ben Collis (ben at dp.co.nz)

In Prefs>Editorial

Pop-up Help says ->

Your home page can be cached -- the version that is cached is the version non-logged-in visitors see. This improves performance, as the home page doesn't have to be re-rendered for many hits on that page. (When members or editors visit the home page, it is still re-rendered.)

Is caching possible when you have macros used on the site ? E.g. a NewsItems macro ? I can image that a newsitems macro might be cacheable as the news items on site are not entirely dynamic.

However I assume if a homepage has the whoAmI macro in it for example - then caching of that is not possible .. does it mean then that the insstruction to cache is bypassed ? Or is part of the homepage cached ? or what ...