New Message: Re: Access Control - Multi editors with edit/update rights to JUST ONE page each

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Fri Nov 4 18:15:36 CST 2005

By: Ben Collis (ben at dp.co.nz)

Yep .. I tested it .. I was barking up the wrong tree ..

I spoke to Access Control author David Bayley and he put me right .. the process to allow a website with members EACH having 1 page to update (Edit this Page) style is as follows

(note this works for a SMALL size site but would be painful with many members).

1. Temporarily - enable the Discussion group for member usage (even though in my case the discussion group is not a required component of the site).

2. Login as the members (1 at a time) ..

 2.1 Create a Thread on the Discussion Group

 2.2 While logged as ME on another browser - go to Discussion group, make the fresh new thread a story, set path etc as required.

 2.3 Test that the member (who created the discussion thread) has access to this (NOW) new story.

 2.4 Signoff as that member.

 2.5 Repeat 2-2.4 for each member in the site.

3. Disable the Discussion group.

Hope that helps anyone looking to do the same ...

Access Control not needed for that task, although not sure what would happen if the Access Control setting was subsequently set to preclude the member from editing /their/ own page (i.e page set as editors only access).

Might be worth testing that. Unless David can say straight off.