New Message: How to get un-escaped curly brace in template?

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Wed Nov 9 22:27:31 CST 2005

By: Paul Howson (phowson at flexi.net.au)

Having spent about two hours on this, I'm ready to ask for help. I need to insert some browser-dependent code into a Manila page template. It is CSS code specific to versions of Internet Explorer and is enclosed tags that look like this: \<!--[if IE 5]> css here \<![endif]-->

That part works OK. Between those tags goes some CSS, which of course uses curly braces to wrap the property list of a CSS definition. Now the problem is Manila will not let those curly braces alone. It wants to substitute them with numerical entities, which the browser does not see as valid CSS markup. Using a backslash in front of the braces makes no difference.

I've tried putting the code snippets into a story and then including the story in the template with includeMessage(), but the curly braces still get mangled.

I can't put the code in the CSS for the site because that is enclosed in \<style>\</style> tags, and the inserted code needs to be outside such tags.

This seems a real showstopper!

There must be a way around this?