Regular,intermittent crashes

Kelly Thomas kthomas at siu.edu
Tue Oct 25 17:11:11 CDT 2005

Hi Bill! I agree with you that Manila/Frontier is awesome. We've used
it for years and I hope we can continue.

Sorry I'm late to the party with this response, I wanted to respond
to this in a little more detail. i've heard others grouse the same
problem. I have two servers at two different locations using two
different ISPs. Both are Frontier 9.5 and at least OSX 10.2.1 One is
an iMac with a bunch of RAM and the other is an XServe which is NOT
running the XServe OS. (I wiped it when we got it a few year(s) ago
and went back down to OSX client.

I've added the frontier script that quits frontier after about 10,000
server hits. I'm only guessing because I've never seen it happen but
Frontier seems to not end gracefully every time on both machines. I
run an AppleScript which KeepsFrontierAlive and the users stay happy
and know nothing of the problem. I'm not sure how long it's been
doing this but it seems like a long time. Since the 1st of the year
for sure.

Where I come from, the ONE THING a server should do is not crash.

I worry that these ungraceful exits will corrupt an important file.
I've extended the frontier script to shut down (I don't recall...) at
35,000 hits or maybe 65,000. I also removed it completely from one
server thinking the error messages would go away. Both still show
that same message. Naturally, it's not on the screen today. But I
think the error message is something about unexpectedly quitting.

I hope the Programmers at Userland can hunt down this problem and
make this stable server software or figure out what we're doing to
it. I'll help in any way I can.

/kelly thomas
Southern Illinois University
http://www.dailyegyptian.com