New Message: Re: Outgoing trackback problem

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sat Oct 29 15:41:22 CDT 2005

By: Matt Deatherage (frontier at gcsf.com)

Steve:

As I (attempted) to note in the {relativeLink("original message", "/discuss/msgReader$1399?mode=topic")}, I can see an error in the outgoing trackback table, but I can't make heads or tails of it. I see I didn't provide specifics and no one asked, so I went back and looked again.

The outgoing trackback for the article's URL contains an "errorstring" value. After copying it out, it reads thusly:

Can’t get the address of “response” because the table doesn’t have an object with that name.

(I've come to really hate string values in Manila root tables because I can't see the entire string in any way except to either copy and paste it somewhere, or to use the arrow keys to scroll through it one character at a time. Because Frontier.app doesn't export its clipboard until you switch applications, I can't even use Timbuktu to get the server's clipboard until I switch to the Finder first. It's very much a pain.)

I have no idea if that error refers to a missing "response" value in a Manila table, or if the remote server returned that string, or anything else. I just know it doesn't work and that's all the info I got, and I only got that by table-diving pretty deep.