New Message: Re: Google Adsense and Manila/Frontier

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Mon Sep 12 00:33:14 CDT 2005

By: Bill (crllen at bigpond.com)

Hello Matt,

Thanks for this. It seems I am having exactly the same problem but I don't think I have as good an understanding of Manila/Frontier to make the modifications you suggest?

I have successfully implemented google maps in a 'normal' apache served [hosted] environment, but I am keen to get my own manila/frontier configuration to run some maps.

When I got my API KEY I made a few changes.

1. I changed the Template and added the DOCTYPE and HEAD info, including the script source.

I added this

 <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

and this to my template

 <head>
 <title>Google Maps JavaScript API Example - simple</title>
 <script src="http://maps.google.com/maps?file=api&v=1&key=abcdefg" type="text/javascript"></script>
 </head>

This is the "demo" key from the google page......[i.e abcdefg..]

2. I then created a new "story" and pasted the "BODY" information in to the page, without the "body" tags. I called this story page "googlemaps".

I added this.

 <script type="text/javascript">
 //<![CDATA[
 if (GBrowserIsCompatible()) {
 var map = new GMap(document.getElementById("map"));
 map.centerAndZoom(new GPoint(-122.141944, 37.441944), 4);
 }
 //]]>
 </script>

The page loads blank, no map shows?

I see you have managed to get an image, so I am keen to hear what you suggest.

Cheers

Bill

This is a Manila site.. http://manila.userland.com/.