Feature Request: Duplicate shortcut checking

David A. Bayly dbayly at udena.ch
Sat Sep 17 04:38:09 CDT 2005

>On Friday 16 September 2005 4:28 pm, David A. Bayly wrote:
>>  At 15:01 -0500 05/09/16, Scott Granneman wrote:
>>  >Manila needs to throw up an alert when a new shortcut is being
>>  >created that has the same name as an existing shortcut. Something like:
>>  >
>>  >"A shortcut already exists with the name "shortcutname". Do you wish
>>  >to replace that shortcut?"
>>  >
>>  >Thoughts?
>>
>>  Bit of a problem when autoshortcuts are set; it might mean rejection
>>  of a otherwise fine story/picture.
>
>I'm not quite clear what you mean about rejecting, David. Could you explain a
>bit further where you're getting that?

If the option to generate shortcuts automatically is enabled, when a
story or picture is added, Mnai tries to use the subject to create a
shortcut, if it can't it doesn't reject the picture/story and I think
that's correct.  Currently its seems to handle duplicates by opting
to do nothing. Duplicates can easily occur because there's nothing
that forces subjects to be unique.

So my feeling is that your solution is out of synch with how Manial
works generally.

I'd vote for a rethink of how shortcuts and  subjects  work

--

- David Bayly.       Programmer and digest reader.     dbayly at udena dot ch
  		Digest Readers do it once a day.