New Message: Changing Server - Moving Manila

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sun Aug 13 03:54:58 CDT 2006

By: Bill (lists at whalesong.org)

Hi,

I have been running Frontier-Manila on an x-serve running MacOS 10.2.8 for almost three years [and Radio for about 6] and have been *really* happy with the results. 184 subscribers, just on a 1000 postings for a small network is great in my view!

I am at the point of changing a lease on hardware and wanting to upgrade the server, OS etc.[Time to consider mean-time between failure on my HD as well!!

I have looked at Topics such as:

http://frontier.userland.com/userGuide/serverAdministration/movingAManilaWebsite

but I am not sure it answers my question exactly??

If I set up a new server with EXACTLY the same name as the current one and keep the pathways identical, is *moving* the Frontier/Manila installation as simple as dragging to the new server?

I run one MAIN website and have three minor subsites [very low traffic] running as well.

They do NOT share membership.

Any advice or pointers to posting would be appreciated.

Also, is anyone aware of anyone developing support material for Frontier/Manila on video? I would love to be able to access short video snippets running through basic-intermediate FAQ's?

I am especially interested in understanding the table structures and the general scripting environment.

SEEING some of these things would greatly assist me in compressing the time it takes to get up to speed with the obvious number of possibilities with Manila/Frontier.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Bill