New Message: Re: Any way of moderating either comments to newsItems or discussion messages?

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Fri Dec 8 15:08:44 CST 2006

By: pat delaney (delaneyp at sbcglobal.net)

Lawrence:

Thanks.

And just to put this in context. The privacy concerns that some schools have are crazy at times. I'm not sure that this is a problem that is even worthy of a solution, but I said I would investigate it for the Western Mass. sites that are doing the project.

On our Galileoweb.org domain, I do find this option for Comments on newsItems:

Do you want to enable comments by default? Yes No

Require membership to post comments? Yes No

Require editor approval of new comments? Yes No

Unfortunately, that option doesn't appear on the NWP domain sites. My guess is we need a recent update. I'm trying to find out what version of Frontier our isp is running. What version would have all the features you mention?

Meanwhile, though, it would be great if there was a UI that allowed managing editors to set (or unset) a requirement for discussion messages to be approved before posting. That would get rid of this stupid school requirement that the sites be password protected bec. then not even discussion messages would be "published" without managing editor approval.