New Message: Re: Optimizing blog master article index via cache or other means

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sat Dec 16 01:34:05 CST 2006

By: Steven Chan (steven.chan at oracle.com)

Lawrence,

It does seem faster -- the master index loaded in about 13 seconds, whereas it was taking up to twice as long before. Thanks for getting us this far. So every little bit counts, and I'm pleased we're at this point.

Naturally, if there are any other back-end tweaks that you might be willing to explore to speed this up further, I'd be grateful. I've seen some usability studies that suggest that a certain segment of net users click away to alternate sites if page loads exceed 5 seconds.

Alternately, if you came up with a different API or macro that could generate a sitemap or Table of Contents, I'd be willing to beta-test it.

Thanks for your efforts so far.

Regards,
Steven