New Message: Serving a single file

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Wed Feb 1 18:22:48 CST 2006

By: Matt Deatherage (frontier at gcsf.com)

How can I tell a Manila site to respond to a given URL by serving a single file from the file system?

I have a manila site that is not at the top level of its domain, like http://www.example.com/mySite/ for example. I have a single XML file that I want to serve at http://www.example.com/mySite/myfile.xml .

How do I do this? The siteTree feature seems incredibly complicated to serve a single file. The site structure XML doesn't have any documented way to map a URL/path to a file in the file system. And I can't figure out config.mainresponder.domains and never have been able to - there's an entry in it for www.example.com, but there's no entry for mySite, so I can't imagine how to add it.

(Gems/Files won't work for me - I'm running Frontier behind Apache, so the gem URL would be something like http://www.example.com:8080/mySite/myFile.xml and that's not what I need. I need to put the file at an exact URL.)

Frontier's been serving files since like 1995, so I know this is possible, but I don't know how.