New Message: Re: Generating site index of news items by department

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Mon May 8 01:18:33 CDT 2006

By: Steven Chan (steven.chan at oracle.com)

Thanks for the lead, Lawrence.

I think I'm halfway there. Instead of the entire article, I want to list only the item titles like in the Previous Posts sidebar, but by department, and have them link to the actual news items, effectively like a Table of Contents.

>From the macros.userland.com reference, I see that viewNewsItem should work on any page. In my Home Page Template, I've got the following which works:

 {viewNewsItems (30, "", "* {itemtitle}")}

But that doesn't work when I paste it into a new story (subtituting my department label for the second field). I can't seem to get the New Story field to accept this as HTML, so this just generates garbage.

Will this syntax only work in the Home Page Template?

I find this particularly cryptic from the macros manual:

"newsItemTemplate, a string, is the template to flow News Items through. The template may contain any HTML you want, including the following special macros: {itemTitle}, {url}, {department}, {postTime}, {description}, {author}, {discussLink}, {picture}, and {editLink}. If not specified, the default News Item Template from the News Items preferences page is used."

Regards,
Steven