New Message: Re: Weird Behavior...

Jason Everett jeverett at esu10.org
Mon Sep 11 20:15:17 CDT 2006

Thanks Lawrence,

Here is the response I received:

-----Original Message-----
Yes, there is a proxy server, but it has been in place for many years
and Manila has functioned properly. Frontier serves out five Manila web
sites.  The behavior only occurs on the original web site -- it does not
appear on the remaining four sites.  All sites are behind the same proxy
server, so all should be affected equally if the problem is with the
proxy server.

We have never been able to log in for editing on any of the sites using
Firefox.  The problem is new to Internet Explorer.

We have been making a number of changes in network configuration
(firewall and DNS modifications) for several months in dealing with an
unrelated network problem.  However, the site still serves out pages
correctly and is accessible from the Internet and from the local network
equally.  The behavior is only associated with logging into the site for
editing.

Specific Behavior: Click link to login > fill in admin email address and
password and click Login button > home page reappears without editors
menu or Edit This Page buttons > click link to login a second time.  At
this point normal behavior would be for editors menu and Edit This Page
buttons to appear, but instead it returns to the login page.  On the
rare occasion that the editors menu appears, it will not give editing
access to any of the stories.  The site is effectively uneditable.

We have always needed to click the login link twice to obtain the
editing menu.  The Frontier server crashes about once every three days
and has to be restarted (we've been running the flaunch app for several
months).  Those are the only pre-existing difficulties we've seen.