New Message: Re: Harvard Law's Manila Migration to WordPress

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sun Apr 8 09:25:18 CDT 2007

By: Dan Mitchell (dan at mitchell.fhda.edu)

Grant: Great, well-reasoned, well-spoken, articulate post. It echoes my feelings almost exactly.

I, too, have used Frontier/Manila since back in the last century. I managed to get my college to use Manila to support hundreds of faculty and other web sites and managed the project. I've developed and taught many staff development classes on the environment.

Like you I recall the heady early days of Manila that you have described so well. Userland was /way/ ahead of the pack - and in many ways still is. The energy and good work of the Userland community were astonishing.

Like you I am grateful to Dave, Brent, Lawrence, and the others who are and have been involved in Manila. Lawrence continues - seemingly on his own - to keep this wonderful environment up and running.

Like you, I have tried other systems. I tried them because I have been concerned about what I would do in a post-Manila world, because I did work for others who had implemented different systems, because I had been told that they brought some of the power, flexibility, and innovation of Frontier/Manila. In every case I was disappointed. Frontier/Manila continues to be my model of how this can be done the best - warts and all.

Thank you for articulating all of this so well.

Dan