New Message: Re: Problem with Manila 6.2

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Wed Mar 14 16:43:38 CDT 2007

By: Patrick Schwisow (pschwisow at waukeganschools.org)

Dan,

Sounds like <ttmanilawebsites.root</tt is corrupt. I got something similar. (I believe the error I got was something like "Tried to read a free block".) The way I salvaged the file (as near as I can remember) was:

 * Backup your root before we start working on it (copy it in Finder)
 * Open Frontier and shut down the web server: /Web/ → /WebServer/ → /Stop/
 * Open the file: /Window/ → /manilaWebsites.root/
 * Save a copy: /File/ → /Save a Copy.../
 * When it gives an error, make note of where the error is (e.g. <ttmyManilaWebsite.#discussionGroup.messages...</tt
 * Go to the offending message and delete it.
 * Repeat as necessary until you succeed in saving.
 * Backup your (hopefully fixed) root!
 * If you have a good backup of the any of the messages you deleted, you can copy / paste them back into the fixed root. (Better to have an old version than none at all!)

If that works, I would recommend that you split your large root into two or more smaller roots. (Although you may find the root is much smaller once it's been compacted.)

Good luck!

Patrick