New Message: Re: Frontier 9.7b24 for MacOS X is available

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Tue Jul 29 22:20:38 CDT 2008

By: Bill (lists at whalesong.org)

Hi Lawrence,

I have a dev server that is offline and I have downloaded the BETA and installed on my machine running 10.4.11. This is not my actual production/live server, but a basic testing machine.

I am very nervous about deploying this directly on to my live installation.

On first launch on my dev server, I received a "Access to Frontier.root denied" dialogue. This was a permissions problem that I sorted.

I have started the app but can't get much further. The serial number is invalid on this installation because I have not updated it since re-registering last year. I have a full licence but only on one machine.

Can you recommend how I could go about testing this before I make a decision to deploy to my live site?

My live site is the CENTRE of all our communication to 370+ members and has now been running five years, I could not do without ti, even though I still don't feel like I am confident in its administration.

Any advice re testing strategy would be appreciated.

Cheers

Bill