New Message: Licence Renewal & the Future

Steve Hooker steve at cybersaps.com
Sat Mar 22 08:31:25 CDT 2008

I love Manila. But I haven't renewed my license for many, many years,
there hasn't been anything that I've considered to be worth upgrading
to. I've been customising and customising. I'm sticking with Manila, but
can't ever see me giving any more money to UserLand. There's nothing
worth buying (at present) though I'm always hopeful.

My two worries are concerned with the future.

The size of my Manila discussion groups. I had one with 147,000 messages
and it was too much. Too much time to save and do other operations on. I
think I'll be able to think of a work around on this.

The dual and quad and even 100 processors that are now being shipped and
talked about. Currently, I'm running on one processor, and looking to
upgrade the machine soon. It's my understanding that the kernel can only
run in one processor. Indeed, I've seen Frontier on a dual, and it does
only run on one processor. I guess this will hit all users, not just
Manila. I can't think of a work around for this. Perhaps, running
several instances of Frontier? Could this work?

Steve Hooker
http://www.blogfootball.com/service
http://www.walsallschools.org/