Some help, please

Clay Hughes chughes at mail.usd458.k12.ks.us
Wed Sep 12 06:24:18 PDT 2001

There is a huge difference in performance and stability between Frontier 7 and Fronter 6 for the Mac. If you can, it might be best to run Frontier 7 for MacOS X and many of the stability problems should disappear.

There is a revised "KeepFrontierRunning" for MacOS X on the Frontier for MacOS X Site, but I don't have the URL at the moment. It doesn't appear that the site is indexed by Userland's search engine :-(.

We have been running Frontier 7 on MacOS for a couple years now and have almost no stability problems to speak of (under a light-moderate load). Each of our servers is restarted every night and we use either Rebound/Kick-Off to detect crashes/freezes and to restart the server if an application quits unexpectedly. (I don't know if Kick-Off is available for MacOS X).

I've just tried to set up Frontier on MacOS X Server and had all kinds of trouble (mostly with permissions). I went back to MacOS X client and things worked much better, but I would also like to see better documentation on getting Frontier set up on MacOS X. Even better, it would be nice to have some kind of set-up wizard for installing Frontier on MacOS X that would take care of many of the dirty details.

FWIW, Clay Hughes