Moving sites to new hardware

Emmanuel. M. Decarie emm at scriptdigital.com
Fri Dec 13 12:21:05 PST 2002

>Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 09:57:44 -0800
>From: Eric Soroos <eric-ul at soroos.net>
>

>>  Eric, can you please elaborate on this. I'm not sure I understand.
>>  What absolute paths are saved in the kernel?
>
>They're not saved in the kernel, but the behavior is baked into it.
>Any time that you have an address that is written to a location in
>the ODB, that address is prefixed by the full path.

Ok, I understand now. I had my fear amount of problems with this.

>It's a disconnect between the way that the path system works within
>frontier and the storage representation of those paths. Internally,
>you'd never expect to have to use the full path to a script to use
>it in a method call. Everything would break  if manilaSuite.foo had
>to be called as [full path to manila.root].manilasuite.foo.
>
>There are (of couse) workarounds, such as soring a string that is a
>path independent version of the address and using it like
>@stringRepresentationOfAdr^, but there are places that do different
>things if the odb location is a string or an adr
>(config.mainresponder.domains, the responders, etc).

Yes, I know. If I remember correctly, Seth once asked for some of the
configurations, that they could start with ":guest
databases:mydatabases". I think you can use this with user.databases
but I'm not sure.

Its probably too late for that, but a lot of these path could have
been as a relative string representations (as the example above).

And I wonder if the kernel could have implemented this directly.
Something that goes like this at system.paths:

path15 = @frontierpathfolder

which in the kernel translate  the filepath to an address that
represent the folder in which is Frontier/Radio:

@["HD:Users:emmanuel:Radio UserLand:]

So addresses could resolve for example to the following if they are
in this path:

@[":Tools:myPictures.root"].myPicturesData.prefs

See the leading colon that tell Radio/Frontier that the path is
relative to path15.

Hope this make sense.

Cheers
-Emmanuel