Frontier reporting 0K free memory when there is >2GB

Eric Soroos eric-ul at soroos.net
Fri May 23 11:23:55 PDT 2003

On Saturday, May 17, 2003, at 12:49  AM, Matt Mower wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> We have newly installed Frontier 9.0 on a Dell Poweredge server running
> Windows 2000 Service Pack 3.  The server has 4 Xeon 2.4GHz cpu's and
> 3GB
> of physical RAM (+5Gb page file).

> However Frontier consistently reports 0K free.

I've seen something similar lately, although I'm on a machine with < 4
gig total mem + swap.

It appears that memAvail is returning a signed 32 bit integer, so once
you get over 2 gig you overflow into negative, and once you hit 4 gig
you're completely out of bounds. I've got a patch for the about box,
but that's only a cosmetic thing. I suspect the rest of your problem is
really a kernel issue.

eric