Manila Not Applying Changes

Ryan Hale ryan.hale at t1host.com
Wed Dec 1 12:07:27 PST 2004

Hi Lawrence -

Here are the answers to your questions:

> Do the changes seem to be connected in any way to Frontier restarting?

No, I don't think so.  I have always had Frontier running as a service on a
Win2K machine, so I don't think that is the issue.

> Do you have the preference to save all changed databases every minute enabled?

Yes.

> Can you post the exact text of the "message does not exist" error?

>From http://rbs.t1host.net/stories/storyReader$11

Sorry! There was an error: Can't display story 11 because it doesn't exist.
The error was detected by Frontier 9.0 in mainResponder.respond. Webmaster:
ryan.hale at levistable.com. Time: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 19:58:43 GMT.

Regarding the test:

It seems like the changes to the Stories and other pages are taking right now,
but I can't make that jive with the error you'll see by going to the URL above.

What I am finding is that it is the settings that are more the problem that the
messages.  For example, at rbs.t1host.net, I have made changes to the
Appearance settings (Changed siteName, turned off calendar on homepage, 1
newsday, showed title) at least 10 times, but if you go to that site, you'll
see that the siteName (title bar) is still the name of the original naming
convention on the site, the calendar is there, title not there, multiple news
days, etc.

One thing that I've noticed is that it seems that the changes revert back
most-often after I have made a change in Prefs > Advanced.  I've also created
several relative paths on this site (both at the story page and using the Site
Hierarchy at Prefs > Advanced) only to have these settings revert back to the
previous look without any relative paths except /about.

Finally, I did do some fiddling around with my personal site (on the same
Frontier installation but in a different manilaWebsites database) and also had
one change work incorrectly when I tried to change the Navigation Links
appearance.  It reverted back on me after making a couple of other changes to
the template, so it seems that this is server-wide instead of isolated to one
site.

Thanks,

Ryan