Can't edit msg with Netscape

Peter Harbeson Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Tue, 07 Aug 2001 13:32:48 -0400

The way Netscape lays out pages can differ greatly from Explorer,
particularly if you're using Cascading Style Sheets or complex tables.
The real problem is probably in the Netscape browser, which does not
properly conform to W3C standards. (IE is not 100% compliant, but it's
much better). It's also possible that the problem is in your tagging;
IE is much more forgiving of problems in tagging, particularly in
tables.

Some possible solutions:
 - simplify the tables in your template
 - if you're using CSS to position page elements, consider creating two
separate style sheets, one that works in IE and one that works in
Netscape. Then you'll need to detect the user's browser and swap in the
correct CSS. (I haven't implemented this yet in Frontier, but it's easy
with PHP, so I think it will be doable.)
 - recommend that users use Internet Explorer (I don't like this
solution, but it can be at least a stopgap)

FWIW, I've found that some of the templates distributed with Manila do
not render properly in Netscape. Even some of the pages at Userland.com
aren't right.

Additional bad news:
 1. There are more browsers than just IE and Netscape. Opera and iCab
are pretty standards-compliant. I just started testing with Mozilla and
Konqueror, so I'm not sure. The W3C has a browser called Amaya as well,
but I believe it's more intended for testing than use.
 2. Pages also render differently on the Windows and Mac versions of
the SAME browser. This is primarily a font size problem, but there are
some other subtle differences.

> A contributing editor who uses Netscape alerted me to a new problem.
The
> following problem appears only when editing with the Netscape
browser.
> (Internet Explorer is fine.)
>
> The "Post Changes" button overlays the text box, as do ALL the
metadata
> fields. And even if I could see through the button to edit, it is
inactive.

> I reproduced this problem from my machine - Windows 98, 800x600
resolution,
> Netscape Communicator 4.61.
>
> This problem has appeared since we started using metadata now on our
staff
> site. (Metadata works fine, btw.) Our short term solution to the
Netscape

--
Peter J. Harbeson
Infoliage Communication