"Can't read stream because the TCP connection..."

Sam DeVore Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 12:49:16 -0700

--B_3109236559_1482985

On 7/11/02 7:41 AM, "Sam DeVore" <sdevore@teachesme.com> wrote:

> On 7/11/02 7:27 AM, "Dave Winer" <dave@userland.com> wrote:
>
>> Sam, I think Doc is seeing the same problem you were seeing connecting to
>> RCS from Radio on Mac OS X. Since he wasn't seeing it before, the question
>> is -- what variable changed? If he can't reproduce it on Mac OS 9, we will
>> know. Dave
>>
> I think you are right, my guess is that he is getting more dropped packets
> to the server then he was before, and the connection between os x and
> windows is dropping the ball on resending them.

I also suspect (but have no way of testing because I do not know enough)
that this is related to some of the reported instances of OS x firing off
data in full duplex but windows only listening in half duplex when data come
from os x.  This has been reported recently on some of the mac
troubleshooting sites

>From macintouch
> i have an xp box and a few os x machines in my network. i talk to my xp box
> via os x's built-in samba support.
>
> anyway, i noticed that, even though all of my machines are on a switch and
> have 100baseT cards in them, i was getting TONS of packet loss between my xp
> box (where my backup system and large drives are) and my macs. like, though i
> have a switch, it was running at around 10% of it's rated speed. amazingly
> slow.
>
> anyway, here's what was happening.
>
> when os x would tell xp that it wanted information at full duplex speeds, xp
> would ignore it and run at half. so, x would be sending the info at full tilt,
> while xp was listening half the time, resulting in amazing amounts of packet
> loss.
>
> the fix?
>
> just force my nic on the xp box to run at full duplex all the time (in the
> properties for the card in the hardware manager). now i'm getting amazing
> speeds out of my network - as i should.
>
> i hear that the same is true with sfm running on nt. try it on your nics and
> see if things work a bit quicker.

Does anyone know how to test this thought?

Sam D

--B_3109236559_1482985

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: &quot;Can't read stream because the TCP connection...&quot;</TIT=

</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande">On 7/11/02 7:41 AM, &quot;Sam DeVore&quot; &lt;s=
devore@teachesme.com&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF">&gt; On 7/11/02 7:27 AM, &quot;Dave Winer&quot; &lt;d=
ave@userland.com&gt; wrote:<BR>
&gt; <BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#008000">&gt;&gt; Sam, I think Doc is seeing the same p=
roblem you were seeing connecting to<BR>
&gt;&gt; RCS from Radio on Mac OS X. Since he wasn't seeing it before, the =
question<BR>
&gt;&gt; is -- what variable changed? If he can't reproduce it on Mac OS 9,=
 we will<BR>
&gt;&gt; know. Dave<BR>
&gt;&gt; <BR>
</FONT><FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF">&gt; I think you are right, my guess is that h=
e is getting more dropped packets<BR>
&gt; to the server then he was before, and the connection between os x and<=

&gt; windows is dropping the ball on resending them.<BR>
</FONT><BR>
I also suspect (but have no way of testing because I do not know enough) th=
at this is related to some of the reported instances of OS x firing off data=
 in full duplex but windows only listening in half duplex when data come fro=
m os x. &nbsp;This has been reported recently on some of the mac troubleshoo=
ting sites<BR>
<BR>
>From macintouch <BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande">i have an xp box and a few os=
 x machines in my network. i talk to my xp box via os x's built-in samba sup=
port.<BR>
<BR>
anyway, i noticed that, even though all of my machines are on a switch and =
have 100baseT cards in them, i was getting TONS of packet loss between my xp=
 box (where my backup system and large drives are) and my macs. like, though=
 i have a switch, it was running at around 10% of it's rated speed. amazingl=
y slow.<BR>
<BR>
anyway, here's what was happening.<BR>
<BR>
when os x would tell xp that it wanted information at full duplex speeds, x=
p would ignore it and run at half. so, x would be sending the info at full t=
ilt, while xp was listening half the time, resulting in amazing amounts of p=
acket loss.<BR>
<BR>
the fix?<BR>
<BR>
just force my nic on the xp box to run at full duplex all the time (in the =
properties for the card in the hardware manager). now i'm getting amazing sp=
eeds out of my network - as i should.<BR>
<BR>
i hear that the same is true with sfm running on nt. try it on your nics an=
d see if things work a bit quicker.<BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><BR>
Does anyone know how to test this thought?<BR>
<BR>
Sam D<BR>
</FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><BR>
</FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3109236559_1482985--