"Can't read stream because the TCP connection..."

Eric Soroos Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Thu, 11 Jul 2002 19:54:45 -0700

> > just force my nic on the xp box to run at full duplex all the time (in the
> > properties for the card in the hardware manager). now i'm getting amazing
> > speeds out of my network - as i should.
> >
> > i hear that the same is true with sfm running on nt. try it on your nics and
> > see if things work a bit quicker.
>
> Does anyone know how to test this thought?

This shouldn't be an issue in anything but lan situations, and only in ones with cheap switches at that. He's looking at the difference between 100Mbps and 200Mpbs, (roughly) and that is only even close to possible on a lan.

Back in one (frontier/radio, I don't remember) of the OSX beta periods, I remember running into a case where an OSX frontier/radio installation would wind up with queued outbound tcp data that was flushed by the os very slowly. The symptom disappeared, and I didn't think much more of it.

On osx, when you're upstreaming, you sould be able to run a netstat command
in a terminal window and see if there is anything in the send queue for all of the open connections. In the following example, there are a few www connections open, and none have any data in the sendq column.

[erics@beet erics]$ netstat
Active Internet connections (w/o servers)
Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
tcp        0      0 beet.wiredfool.com:2627 4.42.179.142:www        ESTABLISHED tcp        0      0 beet.wiredfool.com:2626 4.42.179.150:www        ESTABLISHED tcp        0      0 beet.wiredfool.com:2625 4.42.179.150:www        ESTABLISHED tcp        0      0 beet.wiredfool.com:2624 4.42.179.134:www        CLOSE

eric