Questions after playing

Al Mac Manila-Newbies@userland.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:19:14 -0600

Nathaniel

I used Manila for a few months before I started using Radio.
When I started with Manila, I was confused.
When I started with Radio, I could see that Radio was like Manila on
steroids with a lot of stuff similar, but some stuff different, and I was
confused again.
I wrote up some essays (stories in Manila Radio speak) to explain what I
had figured out.
Most of the essays on my site are Radio related, but a few are Manila.

You might find the following useful:

http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/ ... this is a directory of the
essays (stories) I have posted to my blog.

http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/09/12/manilaPasswordChangeHow.html
- how do I change the password for accessing my Manila site ???

http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/10/16/storiesAndShortcuts.html
Stories and Shortcuts in Manila and Radio are similar but have some
distinct differences ... I try to clear up some confusion here about how
they work in each reality.  First I explain, with examples, how stories and
short cuts work in Radio, and how you can create them.  Then I explain them
for Manila.

http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/10/01/editingSymbols.html ...
dealing with garbage on your screen

http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/08/23/radioDocSources.html -
here are links to about 100 different people who have written documentation
for Manila, Frontier, or Radio ... most of my links are Radio, but there
are a few Manila sources in there.

http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/09/06/radioStart.html - here
are the names of people who have done documentation that I think is best
for beginners.

http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/11/21/blogSoftwarePerspectives.html
... this is a good starting place for visiting any of my stories on Blog
Software in general ... Radio Userland vs. the competition ... this essay
is intended to be like a Consumer Union Reports comparison tool for the
potential buyer to figure out what the differences are between the various
software providers and pick out which one they want.  For those who are
already playing with this, you can use the links here to compare what you
got to the other guys.

http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/09/26/blogMoney.html ... is
there any way to make money off of what we have learned about Manila,
Radio, or Frontier?

http://radio.weblogs.com/0107846/stories/2002/09/29/searchEngineTips.html

Some of my links are broken, because they connect to places that moved.
Keeping up with correcting that stuff can become a logistical nightmare.
According to the search engine robots, my weblog is approaching 1,000 links
to other places.
Perhaps it is time to buy one of the add-on tools that automates that kind
of repair (ask me about that in a different thread).

Here is a relevant quote from Ross Mayfield who started the Blogger Tribe
on Ryze (see my sig for link there)

QUOTE

Many members of the Blog Tribe joined because they have an interest in
starting a weblog. To help this along I am starting a new Blog
Buddy-system. The idea is to introduce potential or new bloggers to
experienced ones for mentorship.

Mentors can help you in getting you started, choosing tools, resolving
technical issues or even those wacky cultural questions.

If you are interested in being paired with a Mentor, or becoming one,
please respond to this email with your interest. Thank you to those who
have already volunteered to be mentors.

UNQOUTE

-
Al Macintyre (macwheel99@sigecom.net via Eudora)