New Message: Encoding entities for RSS feeds

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Sun Nov 13 22:38:27 CST 2005

A new message was posted:

Address: http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$14289

By: David Gewirtz (david at zatz.com)

I'm (finally) updating my ancient RSS 0.91 feeds to RSS 2.0 and I need to generate the <title and tags contents. If I want to be able to safely put pretty much anything inside a <title</title pair or a pair, what Frontier routines will do the best set of string conversions?

For example, I know ampersands should be converted to &, but I read somewhere that these need to be double converted. I'd also like to potentially include HTML in my descriptions and I'd rather not attempt my own conversion routine.

I found string.iso8859encode(), but that doesn't appear to do enough. I also found xml.entityEncode(), but for some reason the docs didn't do it for me, and I'm not sure if this routine is sufficient.

So, well, I could sure use some advice.

-- David