New Message: Re: Spinning beach ball cursor, Frontier locked up on Mac OS X

webmaster at userland.com webmaster at userland.com
Mon Sep 11 21:03:08 CDT 2006

A new message was posted:

Address: http://frontier.userland.com/discuss/msgReader$14490

By: Jeremy Reichman (jaharmi at mac.com)

Okay, I've gone through my manilaWebsites.root file and found four instances that I believe are corruption in the database. DG messages 2180, 2225, 2244, and 2246 could not be opened and caused errors when I tried to do a "save as." It was very annoying to get rid of the errors when they popped up on screen; they are very persistent, ahem.

Noting that others had run across this kind of problem in the past, I tried using table.jettison to throw away the problematic tables -- they were all either "body" or "newsItems.description," which was somewhat painful. But it looks like it's either jettisoning them or not having a working site at all.

The jettison succeeded in each case and I've now been able to do a successful "save as." I suspect that I'll be able to use my existing root to serve the site but I'm making a good backup to make sure.

Perhaps crawlers and robots were coming across these corrupted tables and that borked my server? I wouldn't be surprised if the corruption were caused by some power outages I've had on the server -- it's just hosted at home.